A Place for my mind to wander.

Thursday, May 3

A Man who Stands for Himself


I don’t believe in labels, people rarely adhere to them.

I spoke recently to an old friend. I told him quietly, firmly that I was no longer a Christian and that I could not identify myself with this label any longer. He seemed perplexed by my words. His head tilted to the side as he said, “You were, but now you’re not?” I knew that this would be a difficult conversation to navigate. The label of Christianity is a salve for many. The word that slides off men’s tongue is familiar and tells others that he can be trusted, that he is part of their select society. I refuse to offer comfort with this term. It might seem as though I am disgusted with Christianity, but I am not. I don’t believe in basing one’s identity on labels. Men who have told me they live by other great moral standards have still failed. They say they do not lie and then spout venom with their tongue. They say they do not break promises and then leave the ones who love them standing alone. I do not stand for these men either. I can not stand for any man who wishes to identify himself with a power greater than himself because if so chooses this path then he will surely fail. Why not be honest for the sake of yourself? Not because it is moral and right, but because you are the master of your own dignity. I wish for a man who can not only stand but testify that he stands for himself alone. He stands for the purpose that is born within him, and if he lies or breaks his promises it is because he is a flawed man- not because there is a flawed moral code.

Religion covers a multitude of sins; it acts as an insurance policy for those who are unable to stand on their own.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me so sad Claire.....you have gotten so off the path...

Anonymous said...

I wrote your name wrong...sorry...

Anonymous said...

Can you honestly say that you are happier now than you were ... say...5 years ago or so when you were seeking a relationship with Jesus Christ? What are you going to "do" with Jesus?

Je Dois said...

I don't feel the need to identify myself with some label. As to what I will 'do' with Jesus...I haven't figured out yet. I know there is a God but I am honestly tired of all the excuses made in his name by people who feel the need to label themselves as Christians.

Anonymous said...

Yea...I can understand. People screw up in the name of Jesus all the time. The key is not to look at people in helping you decide who Jesus is, just look at Him, He's the only one who got it all right and then strive to be as much like Him as you can. Don't give up. Keep searching...

Je Dois said...

As old as Thomas
It's hard to believe what we haven't seen. I have seen people disappoint again and again.

If this is who I think this is, then I don't count you among one of those people.

Life is a journey, and that's why I have this blog. I am just chronicling the journey.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you as you continue the journey....

Je Dois said...

thank you.

Je Dois said...

I just re-read this entry..i sound angry. I want to reiterate that I wans't trying to bash christianity. I would rather someone not lie because they know that lying is hurting yourself rather than they believe that God told them not to lie, is the point i was trying to get at. I would like to see a little more personal responsibility in the world. I love God and I want to follow him the best I can. this is why i would rather question the beliefs then follow blindly what those who are in power tell me.