A Place for my mind to wander.

Thursday, January 31

Why Can't We Be Friends?

Maybe its just me (considering that my dose of americana comes solely from the internet) but I think the Dems are heading for trouble. The country has become divided over the past eight years and three months ago (heck, one month ago) a Democratic victory seemed a sure thing. Now I am not so sure. While I am living in France (and most french people could not name a single republican besides Bush) I feel as though there is a turning tide in the states. I cannot help but be disappointed by the petty fighting between the Obama and Clinton camps. I understand this is going to be a hard fought battle but this election is theirs to lose...and they might do just that. Americans are looking for change (as we always are) but we are also looking for unity. Not the scary 'Love America or Die' unity that emerged after 9/11 but a true unity that is nurtured through national pride. I am American and I cannot pretend to know what it is like to be anything else but I have come to realize the effect we have on the world and the effect we have on ourselves. There is a saying in France: "America coughs and the whole world has a cold". Though we have declined in power over the years, we still hold a lot of sway ecomonically and culturally. We export American culture shamelessly and any dip in our economy shows an immediate effect on the rest of the world (see current crisis with fed reserve). There is a lot of weight on our shoulders and, I think, this election cycle we should cut the crap and actually find who the best person to shoulder this weight might be. Besides, if Hill and Obama don't get their act together you might just find me voting for McCain come election day.

No comments: