A Place for my mind to wander.

Monday, July 2

Wonderfully Made


Throughout the writing of my blog, I have made it no secret of my fumbling within religion- specifically Christianity. I chose to become a Christian when I was 13 years old. I wasn’t raised in the church, unlike many of my friends. I am unsure if this has hindered or helped my beliefs, even though I know what I did was a conscious decision and I continue to stand behind it. With all of this in mind I've been thinking about something: someone made a comment on one of my earlier postings, and they wrote that I shouldn't look to others for my belief in God.
I understand this.
People break each other’s hearts everyday. The pain I have seen working in this family law office in the past two weeks has made me reconsider my choices for a family. I have seen people use children as instruments of revenge and these actions sicken me. Yet, I am reminded of something I told a friend once. My friend asked me how I was able to forgive a certain person in my life. I told my friend that I believed that there was a quality, a dignity, to people that existed and that I must respect whether they respect me or not. Forgiveness is about yourself, it’s about letting go of the other person’s control over your life. This is my way of forgiving. I believed, even before he told me, that he was sorry and didn’t know what damage his actions had caused. I had to believe that his actions were not the sum of his being and that there was a part of him that God loved and I must too. This is why I can’t be an atheist. I can’t believe there is nothing. I know that there is a soul in man that makes us higher than the animals.
This is also why I disagree with the comment on my blog.
I look to people to find God, because if we are made in his image then we are the only traces of his divinity on earth. When I am overwhelmed, I am reminded of the beautiful souls that reside in us all. People act in fear everyday because they do not understand the world they live in. When people act in fear they produce hate and evil; therefore, we must realize that we are the instruments of change in the world.
We can give love or we can give hate.
It is your choice.

Love is the truest thing we have on this earth; it is the closest to God we can be.

No comments: