A Place for my mind to wander.

Thursday, November 22

King of the World

When I was a child, there was a popular saying to bullies. When a kid stepped out of line and tried to boss someone else around we would say, "Who made you King of the world?” Yesterday I asked myself that. It was a Wednesday, innocently enough. Wednesday is the day that all the English Assistants have the day off so we usually plan on doing something as a group. I met up with two of my friends, Bob and Steve, and they suggested that we catch the new Tom Cruise film: Lions for Lambs. It sounded good enough and once I found out that it was to be shown in 'version originale', I was doubly excited. We purchased our tickets, a bag of M&Ms, and settled in to have a good time. About ten minutes in to the film, I started to sense something was wrong. The thought struck me: When did Tom Cruise start making propaganda? The film was 92 minutes of political bullshit. The same line that the Reps have been toying since the beginning of the war: give us a chance, it is ‘us’ against ‘them’, and the media are the ones losing the fight. I walked away with more than a stomach ache from the M&Ms.
I walked away ashamed.
I was sitting next to two Brits, in a room of French people and I just wanted to hide. As I watched the drama and rhetoric unfold, I felt like I was listening to an old story that I heard too many times before. The movie was meant to inspire Americans to be more patriotic and to serve our country.
It was meant to inspire.
I was inspired. I was inspired to start going to Peace rallies when I get home. I was inspired to convince my friends to actually register to vote so that their words would be heard. I was inspired to change something because our attitudes in the states just aren't cutting it. This week France has been crippled by transportation, student, and civil servant strikes. I find it utterly annoying and sometimes frivolous but at least they are fucking doing something. We sit back and don't give a shit about what is happening in our country. We are wealthy and blessed beyond imagine and we cannot even see it. We walk around patting ourselves on the shoulder while there is horrendous poverty and education next door. We say we are so proud to be American when we don't even understand what the word means.
So who made us King of the World?
We did
We did with our inflated ego trips and propaganda films.
We did with our righteous attitudes and God Bless America signs
We did with our bombing and occupation of foreign countries.

I love America but sometimes I really hate being American.

3 comments:

Padraig the Almighty said...

I agree with you about the 92 minutes of political bullshit that was that movie. I didn't even go see it, but from the previews it looked bad.

I disagree, however, with the protesting thing. Protesting is great. It shows how much you disagree with something. But what it doesn't do is solve any problems. The only way to get anything done in this world is to educate, or just go out and help a random person on the street. Then slowly but surely the random acts of kindness will spread and change will happen. The only problem with this is it takes forever. Thus your choice becomes do the right thing and never see change, or go about it the wrong way and just postpone the problem to a later date.

The one realization that you come to from this is that nothing matters. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but that is really what it looks like sometimes.

Je Dois said...

yeah that is a little pessimistic. I have been thinking about it more and more as I see all the protesting in France. It is a different way to think about things. I wonder when did we stop changing things? Why do so many young people not vote? My friends say 'You are against the war? What do you do about it? Why do we not hear about students taking to the streets to have their voices heard?'
Maybe it is not the right way BUT I have to do something. I think you have a point about education. That is why I love being here and being around other people who took the effort to figure out where they are from by stepping into someone else's shoes. We have to get out of our box before we can see how much it is sufficating us.

Padraig the Almighty said...

You are very right...we have to do something. The thing is that what you can do is so small on the whole that when you are by yourself it really feels as if nothing matters. When you are with a larger group then something can be done. What we need is a large group of people to get together and do something...until then all we can do are the small things and just hope that we inspire the people we help.