A Place for my mind to wander.

Wednesday, March 15

A Little Selfish

So I was told the other day that most blogs are pointless introspective dribble. Well that's probably true and I'm sure mine has been that at times. But I like to write and I like entertaining other people so I'm going to try to make more interesting blog entries.

So I'm reading the Fountainhead right now and for anyone who hasn't read it, do it. The book brings up a lot of good points and observations about life. This book is my boyfriend's favorite and he was explaining Objectivism, the author's philosophy on life. There's one point that at first didn't go over so well with me but as I put it into practice I found that it is a great concept. The basic idea is that we should love other people and such but first over all look after our own interest in the long run. This isn't short-term selfishness but long-term. If people were to truly take care of themselves and see what would be best for their life than I think we would all be a lot happier. Case in point, I have an ex-boyfriend I was trying and trying to be cordial and nice to. I was making myself miserable to show him that I was sorry about breaking up. I didn't want to get back together with him I was just putting his interest first because I thought that's what love was. Then I realized that I needed to be more selfish. If talking to him makes me miserable then why should I? I need to look after my own emotional and mental health number one. It seems we make ourselves miserable everday because we feel we owe it to somebody. We don't. People only have the power over you that you give them. Or put differently, we teach others how to treat us.

So from now I'm going to be more selfish. But being selfish in the long-term also means loving people, not burning bridges but walking away calmly. Having my friends and family is in my best interest in the long term so I will continue to give them all my love. I just won't waste my emotion on those who don't deserve it.

No comments: