A Place for my mind to wander.

Wednesday, October 4

i don't understand

sometimes I really don't get people. I was contacted recently by someone I haven't spoken to in a long time. I responded positively, openly, but he has not. I would be remiss to say I didn't understand on some level where he is coming from. I too have wanted to preserve myself and not open the communication lines to people. Therefore, I do not write or try to contact these people but I would like to think if they contacted me I would be open to what they have to say.
I suppose what I really don't understand is why he wrote in the first place. Why write if you don't want to answer? Why start speaking if you have nothing to say? Maybe he has realized that we truly do inhabit different worlds now. Maybe I should have seemed more introspective and saddened by the loss of our friendship. But the truth is that I am not these things anymore. It has been over two years since we parted ways, and if I were to continue to believe that a wrong was committed when we walked away from each other then I would not have been able to survive these past 28 months.
He spoke on failing Love, as though love was a great ideal that was supposed to make everything work out. I still did not understand. Love is not an ideal. Love is an emotion and an action that inhabits our beings for a period of time. Life happens and people are pulled apart but this does not mean that love was failed. It means we are still mortals, full of wrongs and self-doubt. Love is a gift and therefore as quick as it is given can be taken away.
I wanted to tell him that the answers aren't found in the past. I could go over and over all the things that I have done to others and the wrongs that have been done to me. But where would that lead? All we are given is today.
And the answer I need is, what can I do with today; because that's all I've got right now.

No comments: