A Place for my mind to wander.

Saturday, February 4

I hated a whole country yesterday

I am reminded of the incident by the faded mark of a black X on my right hand, the mark of the Sugar House. Last night was...uneventful. I danced a lot with my girls and posed for pictures to remember the night. It was after the we left the club to go to the Chippy that things really started getting interested (a Chippy is a Chip Shop, a place that sells french fries, burgers, pizza, and kebabs). We got the usual, cheesy chips with extra vinegar and as we waited for our order these three drunk english guys realized that some of us were American. They proceeded to ask us if we were from America to which I reponded, no I'm from Canada. My friend Lisa said she was from Mexico and Elizabeth was from Argentina. Our joke seemed to rile the guys more as they them proceeded to harass us about Bush and about being stupid Americans. Of course this is my favorite when loud drunk British people tell me they hate Americans because we're loud and stupid. Then to add insult to injury we were asked to leave by the chippy owners because they didn't want anything to happen. I've been living in England since October and sometimes I just don't want to be a foreigner. I just want to go out, have some fun with my friends, and eat cheesy chips. When I came back to Texas for Christmas break it was such a relief to be able to go about my business without drawing attention that I might in anyway be considered abnormal. Though then a strange thing happened and I felt abnormal in America anyway because I had adapted to Britian. Will I ever have a home again?

No comments: