A Place for my mind to wander.

Monday, February 27

"I'm not losing me, I'm gaining you"

I heard a long time ago, in an effort to keep me chaste, that every time you have sex with someone you give a piece of yourself away. Now I maintain that this is true and I'm not condoning casual sex. Though I was thinking about this in the context of Love. Everytime you love someone you give them a piece of you. I know this every time I look at my friend who has never loved someone. There is something freeing about giving yourself away but somehow I feel a little more broken than she is. Then it occured to me that if I'm giving myself away then so are they and it is their gift to me that fills the space my gift has left. It's like the Counting Crows said, "me but all you but still me". I am a mixture of people that have come in and out of my life. I might have a track record but it makes me a better person in the end, having all these pieces that converge to make me the complex individual I am. This is why you should choose the choice of your affection wisely, they will be with you long after they have gone.

No comments: